Thursday, March 3, 2011

Don't Drink and Drive (or Weave)

Recently I bought a placemat kit from Lotsaknots on etsy.com. I had already put the warp on by my sick weekend, the bobbins were wound, and all I had to do was sit down and weave a bit. They were just plain weave. That should be an easy, mindless activity when you've got a cold. So once I was feeling a little better, I put on some nice music, sat down with some Limoncello that James had surprised me with, and wove all the way through the first placemat before I decided to finally go to bed. I got up the next morning so proud of how productive I had been in spite of being sick. Until I actually looked at what I had done! OMG! I have never in my life seen such ugly selvages! Are they even salvageable? I wouldn't have even thought that you could make that big of a mess of something so simple. But thanks to the miracle of a hot water wash and the dryer, they are presentable and the second sober one actually looks pretty good.

5/2 Dishtowel
First dishtowel on the loom. It actually looks ok under tension, and I didn't get the edges in the photo.

5/2 Dishtowel finished
The finished towel. I can't really say that I like the way they look in such a heavy cotton, but they are definitely thirsty!

No comments: