At the June Tall Pines meeting, I bought some really interesting pencil roving from Upstairs Studio. Unfortunately, in my enthusiasm to spin it, I forgot to take a "before" photo. It was kind of hard to describe, but I'll give it a try. Think of a 2-ply pencil roving in which each ply is space dyed in different colors. When you spin it, you get a barberpole effect. And when you ply that, you get...
If you look really closely, you can see the striping in each ply.
I haven't weighed it on the McMorran yarn balance to see how much I have yet, but I'm hoping to have enough for a pair of mittens. That's about all I've been up to lately. Still plugging away on the Frosted Ferns doily and the Victorian shawl, both of which are in that "bag of string" stage where they aren't really very impressive to look at. I suppose I should concentrate on one or the other and actually finish.
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Monday, June 11, 2007
I finished it last week, but just got around to getting some pictures. It's not the most evenly spun yarn, but hey, it's a learning experience. This is Blue Faced Leicester spun from a lofty batt that I carded myself. Hopefully the merino/romeldale yarn I'm working on now will be more even.
I finished my gift for Wendy's baby shower just in time. It's the "Brittany Jumper" from Jil Eaton's .Minnow Knits, Too. I just love this pattern and have made it several times. Hopefully mom will love it as much as I do. It was knitted using GGH Linova, a cotton/linen blend, which incidentally makes a great drive band on Rapunzel.