Tuesday, January 8, 2008

One more resolution begun!

For many years I've wanted to learn to play the cello. I know, I'm odd. When I was in my 40's I always said that I was going to start lessons when I turned 50; then it was 51, and 52. Well, at 54 I'm finally taking cello lessons! Thankfully I can already read music (thank mom, for giving me piano lessons in elementary school), and I played flute in junion high school. When I was in my 20's, I took piano for a few more years so I know the challenges that the adult student faces. The only one I didn't think about was how much I need some calluses on my left hand fingers. I'm really having to do a lot of short practices rather than one long one each day, at least until I can build up the required hand strength. But it is exciting when I actually make some nice sounds come out of it. I'm hoping to be able to play a little for my patients by next Christmas. They are a wonderful, non-critical audience. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe I'll figure out how to post a short video.

No comments: