Saturday, February 5, 2011

On My Way to the Masters

I started the process of getting my certification in 1999 and am down to the final level of TKGA's Master Knitting Program. Thankfully, it's a self-guided program without a time limit. The caveat to that is that if you take more than a year, you have to send for a new set of instructions that may have changes. That one bit me in the butt on Level II. I had everything done except for the reports when I set it aside and went back to school. When I pulled it all out again, The Knitting Guild of America had become The Knitting Guild Association and the instructions had gone through major revisions! I ended up throwing out quite a bit of work and adding in some new requirements. But the real kicker was that the report requirements stayed the same, and it only took me a couple of evenings to do that part! I've learned my lesson about procrastination!

So now I'm working on Level III, and I'm doing the reports first! These are more involved and I can't just knock them out in a couple of evenings. I'm going to take advantage of this COLD weekend with no committments and get all the writing out of the way. My reward is that I then get to work on swatches. Still work, but at least it's knitting work. To help me keep my focus, I started a local support group within the Knit at Night Guild. There are about 10 of us and we plan to meet every other month to lend support, guidance, and motivation to finish. My goal is to have reports and swatches finished by the end of summer, and the designs completed and ready to begin knitting by the end of the year. It's kind of a long time table, but I have a lot of other things going on in my life and I just can't push them all aside. Spring is already full of knitting and spinning workshops, two weaving groups, and knitting for our new granddaughter who is due in May! Her first gift is going to be a beautiful little winter outfit in pink cashmere. The cap and booties are finished, just have to finish the dress. After two grandsons who absolutely will not wear anything but tshirts and polar fleece, I'm looking forward to being able to make some cute girly things.

No comments: