Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Lyra Finished!!!

Last night I managed to finish binding off all but one repeat before I had to leave for a guild meeting. Then when I got home, we had had a lightning storm which knocked out power to the neighborhood! I stayed up as long as I could hoping that the power would come back on so I could finish, but finally had to give up. So this morning I got up and crocheted off the end, washed it, and Lyra is now on the floor blocking in my living room. I think it looks better than I expected. My plan was to use it as a topper over a white tablecloth, but the colors bled so bad during washing that I'm afraid to do that now. So I guess it will just be another shawl, even though I am not a big fan of round shawls - too bulky on my football shoulders. Here are the statistics for those of you who care:

Pattern: Lyra, by Herbert Niebling
Yarn: Heritage Yarns 8/2 Tencel in "Tallahatchee Bridge" colorway
Amount: Started with 8oz skein of approx. 1680 yds. Had 2oz left. Used approx. 1470 yds.
Needles: US 2 and 3
Blocked dimension: 60" diameter

Before pinning
Lyra unblocked

After pinning (this is what makes lace knitting worth it)
Lyra blocking

Lyra closeup1

Lyra closeup2

My project for this summer is to finish some things that have been sitting for a while, so now it's on to the Forest Path Stole. I want to be able to wear that yummy cashmere this winter!

4 comments:

Gail said...

I like it in color! You've given me the confidence to try some lace in hand-dyed.

Jen D. said...

It's breathtaking. I can't wait until I manage to secure some patterns for a Niebling. Your Lyra is gorgeous!

June said...

Thank you so much for giving the "details" I have hemmed and hawed about ordering tencel for this pattern, and now I know exactly how much to get! The work is lovely, and I hope you wear it proudly!

UniquelymeNana said...

Oh my God!! What a beautiful shawl and I love the way it blocks and the detail is just stunning. I am working on the Rona Lace Shawlmy first cicular shawl and I am enjoy it. Thanks for the info on this shawl I will have to put this one on my list of things to knit. Thanks for sharing!!

Cheryl W.